Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Soaped to death....

You hear it everywhere these days. In office, in buses, in friends' conversations, at family gatherings, even at your own home. The dreaded K words. The godawful K-prefixed soap operas that take up my mom and dad's time every evening are so popular it scares me.

Everyone I know and their aunts, seem to be so involved in these so called stories. What Karan did, what Tulsi said, what Pallavi planned, who married whom, who cheated on whom, who was shot dead, who was reborn.....The scriptwriters of these mushy, silly shows seem to have become more powerful than God himself ( or maybe it should be herself, but more on that some other time). They can resurrect dead characters from the grave, kill perfectly healthy ones thru instant cancer, give them a makeover thru plastic surgery ( mind you, not just the face but even the height and voice change.....). I've tried watching a couple of shows, but had to give up. Sometimes out of disgust, and sometimes because I was laughing so loud I couldnt hear the dialogues.

I refuse to understand how logical, rational people can get hooked on to stuff like this. And what's worse, they are getting their kids hooked as well. Don't they realise what they're doing?

I'm sure there are lots of people like me out there, who dislike these soaps and prefer more intelligent stuff. But from the looks of it guys, we are in a minority. What a shame.


3 comments:

AmitL said...

*Shakes hands*- at last,someone who's as mystified as I am,as to what people see in these soap operas...If I were I&B Minister for a day,I'd ban them all,for taxing our patience.

Princess Au Contraire said...

AAAAH! At last a person after my own heart! Can we form our own anti-soap society??
Good blog here! Will be back again soon.
Visit me at http://princessaucontraire.rediffblogs.com

Anonymous said...

As a laugh, I typed in 'godawful indian soaps' into Google, and here I am. I work from home, and as I type this there's a melodramatic 'villian' in his typically gravelly voice explaining his masterfully complex plan that the 'hero' will inevitably fall into (most probably on the day of his wedding, because these soaps have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many weddings that last 2 and half months) before thwarting in the last minute and having half an episode of hapiness with his new bride. Then of course, when you think it can't get any more ridiculous......well, you get the picture.

Suffice it to say, I let my wife have her soaps, because I'm outnumbered on the issue, my dad, my mum, all their respective brothers, sisters & cousins are all hooked. But any future progeny will be *banned* from watching any program where I feel a retarded monkey could make better choices than the characters, and the overriding theme is love.

Dear jebus, make it stop, I can feel my brain cells dying!